View Single Post
Old Sat Sep 29, 2012, 02:20 AM

My experience with flu injection

Hi - Having suffered from Neutropenia for several years, I had the flu shot last year. A couple of months later I experienced the worst version of flu I've ever had, ending up with severe bacterial bronchitis + bronchial asthma which I'd never experienced before. The prednisone and strong antibiotics which I needed sent my white cells down even lower. The doctor warned me that this would probably happen but there was no other option.

A couple of months later I was diagnosed with pancytopenia and subsequently MDS.

There may not be any connection between the flu treatment and my MDS, however I am inclined to agree that flu injections may not be effective for MDS sufferers. This year I didn't have the injection and so far haven't even had a cold. Is there any research on this?
Dx MDS RAEB 10% blasts + hypogammaglobulinemia, Sep 2011. Jan 2012 BMB - blasts down to 2% w/out treatment so BMT cancelled. Re-diagnosis RCMD. Watch and wait from Feb 2012. IVIg 5-weekly. New diagnosis Oct 2019 AML 23% blasts in marrow, 10% blasts in peripheral blood.