Thread: Day 105+!
View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 23, 2014, 07:06 PM

Heather & Ron, congrats, definitely a milestone worth celebrating. Whoohoo!! Sounds like a fun celebration.

I would really caution about the 4 wheeling though (hope I'm not bursting Ron's bubble). Before my transplant when I was taking Cyclosporine to try & help keep my Aplastic Anemia in check (a little over 1 year after my ATG treatment), I asked my Hematologist if I could start gardening again, her response was " if you wear a full hazmat suit, including gloves & boots & goggles and a professional rubber gas mask with canisters, not the paper type ones, then maybe that would be OK". So I didn't garden. ( btw she's on the AA/MDS foundation board & is an experienced transplant doctor., so she well versed on all the "rules")

The thing is, the darn spores & micro-organisms in soil can wreak havoc on a new immune system & this is why the rules are no gardening or being near construction projects (indoor or out) until at least 1 year post Transplant & longer if still in immunosuppression meds. Although 4 wheeling isn't gardening or construction, dirt kicks up, becomes airborne..., so could have the same effect.

Best wishes

Last edited by dfantle : Thu Jan 23, 2014 at 09:14 PM.