Thread: Transplant Time
View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 7, 2015, 08:31 AM

Dan - Strength and honor works for me - thanks for the good advice. I walked the halls for over an hour yesterday - only stopped because my infusion pump's battery ran out. Don't know how long I'll feel good for but after only two rounds of chemo I feel fine and figure I should do as much as I can while I can. I'll give the shower another try - I hated it the first time, but maybe sitting down will help.

Tracey - I know that last week nervous feeling well - A couple of days before going in I took a short hike with my son to a waterfall - it was awesome doing something I love with someone I love - I recommend doing something memorable with loved ones that you associate with being healthy before you go in as a reminder of the goal.

I'm feeling better in the hospital feeling like I'm finally doing something to get better. So far not especially scary Strength and honor! I'll do my best to be an inspiration for you. You will get through it.

Cheryl - I'm sorry you have to go through this - I too have valvular disease - along with pulmonary hypertension - some of it relates to the MDS and the heart working harder due to low hemoglobin - and also the increased volumes associated with frequent transfusions. My cardiologist thinks it will improve when the MDS is better - and skiing in March is still the goal.

I'm on a reduced intensity chemo regime - I think its the conventional drugs but at lower doses - my regime is also influenced by the donor donating marrow rather than stem cells. I"m at Sloan in NYC - I had hoped for a t-cell depleted transplant but they wouldn't do it with reduced intensity chemo - and the marrow donation is associated with less GVH. They are also having a cardiologist follow me and are being careful not to overload me with fluids. I'd be happy to talk to you via email or private message - I don't have a great grasp on all of the conditioning and anti GVH drugs I'm getting and wouldn't want to confuse the entire board. The number of blasts and cytogenetics also influenced my conditioning regime I think. It seems like each transplant is a little different depending on the doctor and situation. The most important thing is to find a very experienced doctor/hospital you feel comfortable with and can trust. At the end of the day you will have to rely on their experience and judgement. I don't think the valve problems should not rule you out for transplant. My thoughts and preyers are with you.

Paul
Lower risk MDS diagnosed 2012. Recurring skin nodules treated with prednisone, otherwise watch and wait. HG dropped from 11.5 to 8.7. Kept going down to 5. Vidaza didn't work. BMT from MUD on September 10 2015