View Single Post
Old Sun Apr 14, 2013, 01:19 PM

Hi Grifmat,

I think it is wise for your mother to be cautious when her platelets are below 15k - and especially when they are below 10k! Brain bleeds can happen and there often are no warning signs. I am not trying to scare you, but make you aware that a little precaution now may benefit her in the long term.

She also should avoid getting ill because a fever will burn through her platelets at a rapid rate.

One of the things about bone marrow failure diseases is that often you can not tell by looking at a person that they are seriously sick. I remember being in denial that I had anything wrong at the time of my diagnosis because I "felt" great.

700mg of cyclosporine per day is a very high amount! The typical therapeutic dosage is 5mg/kg of body weight/day. So, a dose of 700mg would make sense if she weighed ~309 lbs.

Good luck at your mother's appointment. I hope she gets some answers and treatments that put her on the road to recovery and return her to her normal activities.