View Single Post
Old Tue May 8, 2007, 03:03 PM

When to transfuse

Hi Jeff,

Probably the most important factor in transfusing is how a person feels and appears. The number of units will depend upon the hgb and hct, but most people I know usually get 2 units at a time unless their results show them dangerously low. When a person gets more than 2 units, additional care needs to be observed, especially if they have underlying cardiac problems. That is when lasix will be given while being transfused to remove excess fluids so the heart isn't overworked and the lungs don't fill up with fluid. The time transfusing each unit may also be lengthened to 3-4 hours per unit.

I usually feel fine at a hgb of 7, but I am more tolerant of a lower blood count than most. I have been living with thalasemia, non-transfusion dependent, all my life and have been running on 2/3 of a tank since birth. Now, with MDS, I do require transfusions every 3-4 weeks. I try not to go below 6.5, but sometimes I do. Again, I base it on how I feel.
Tom, age 56, diagnosed with MDS RAEB Oct of 2006. Previously treated w/ vidaza, unsuccessfully. Revlimid successful 1 year. Progressed to AML 4/08 w/ 20% blasts, now in remission. BMT to take place 10/08.