View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 21, 2015, 05:39 AM

Hi Cheryl, I went to an upper GI surgeon today to see about having another feeding tube inserted into my abdo wall and came away a bit shell shocked. Despite my medical problems he is adamant that I need a Roux en Y bypass surgery to bypass the part of my stomach that is abnormal, prevent the food regurgitating into my oesophagus (which doesn't function properly) and allow me to eat. Unfortunately I'm not a candidate for keyhole surgery so it's open surgery as well. He wants to admit me to hospital and put a feeding tube down through my nose through my stomach and into my small bowel and feed me hyperalimentation for a week prior to surgery.

I told him I wasn't keen on having any surgery but I promised to go away and think about it.

All up it would be about three weeks in hospital if all goes well. It's normally a shorter stay but my surgery would be open and my nutritional levels not good and I have existing medical problems...that's why the longer hospital stay.

Oh, and just for an added bonus...he charges more than the insurance company covers! So I imagine I will be about $5000 out of pocket as well.

I've given myself a deadline by next Friday to make the decision.