View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 12, 2009, 05:33 PM

Any good support groups

Hi all,

My 75 year old mother was diagnoses with AA about a month ago. After a reaction to horse ATG, she was put on rabbit ATG (10 days ago) and cyclosporine. She has had some mild infections (fever as high as 102.7) treated by antibiotics. Her wbc's are between 0.1-0.4 and platelets need to be given daily or she has dropped to 2k. with the platelets infusion she usually goes to 10-16k and on a good match high 30's. hemoglobin goes to the low 7 range and she gets blood almost daily. She has been in the hospital for 6 weeks. She is lethargic and even has trouble getting into a chair, She says she is too weak to raise her legs.She is getting headaches and as of yesterday getting pain on almost any touch (head,back). She says it's not worth it and wants to give up. My father is also a wreck. Showing up at the hospital at 4:30am and leaving at 8:00pm. They refuse to believe that it is possible to recover from this. They are both fighter and this surprises me. She is or was a young 75.
Are there family members of survivors out there that speak to others going through this? We live in NJ and she is getting good care. They just need to know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel.