Thread: MDS in India
View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 24, 2010, 11:23 PM

Neil,

Thank you for your input.

His WBC is at 10,700 and differntials are normal. It is his platelets and Hb which is going down. The doctor feels his ability to fight infection still exists as his WBC counts seem to be responding well. However he has anyway been put on a high dose of antibiotics along with paracetamol.

The doctor tells me that once the pathology reports come back and reconfirms his belief that this is indeed MDS and his fever subsides, my dad will be started on a palliative treatment course - likely Vidaza. The doctor has ruled out performing a Stem Cell Transplant. I wonder if patients > 65 years of age in the US/UK do undergo SCT.

My prayers and thoughts go out to everyone fighting this disease. I met a 30 year young patient in the ward and he is on Vidaza currently awaiting his SCT. Hope he finds his donor match quickly and can make progress with his life.