View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 20, 2012, 04:56 AM

this is a tough one isn't it? my children are a lot younger (age 4 and 7) but unfortunately a routine blood test landed me in hospital the next day. We told the kids basically straight away, that is we told them that "my blood was sick". As they have asked questions I have given more information in very general terms (one night when asked I told them my marrow isn't making the blood properly.. I said sort of like if you bake a cake and leave out the sugar would the cake taste right? I said for some reason my marrow was getting the recipe wrong! not sure if this was the best analogy but at 7 he seemed to understand this). But have wondered about how much is too much information? I have just tried to stay honest in all my answers handing out little bits of information the more they have asked. I just started on vidaza this week and because I am a ""stay at home mum" at present this has meant some changes in their normal routines. What have other people done in this situation?

Sharnie
36 yo. MDS ~ RAEB 2 13% blasts. 1st rnd vidaza 16/04/12. meeting with transplant team next week.