View Single Post
Old Wed Sep 25, 2013, 11:21 PM

How Worried Should I Be?

I am 51 years old and female. I have been on medicine for my blood pressure for a few years now, and when I went in for my annual appointment to have my prescription renewed, the CBC they ran indicated that my platelets were at 47,000. I immediately freaked out and started reading everything I could find on the net about thrombocytopenia. I ran across a few articles about pseudothrombocytopenia, so I asked my general practitioner to send me to a different lab to have the test redone. The second time, my platelets came back at 57,000. I do not have copies of the results themselves, but my general practitioner assured me that everything else is within the normal ranges. I have an appointment to see a hematologist on October 2, and I am wondering how worried I should be. What are the odds that this is something terminal? I have to admit that going to anything with the word "cancer" in the title is terrifying to me. (I have a phobia of anything medical, especially doctors, which isn't helping.)