View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 28, 2014, 11:31 AM

Hi Neil,

Thanks for the response and insight. They did check out her heart and said it was "strong". She had many other health issues and has always been anemic - she had a severe problem with bleeding hemorroids but it was determined that surgery to correct would not be in her best interest due to age, etc. She had been receiving iron infusions for the last year as well to try and decrease the amount of blood transfusions she was given. She seemed to level off and although her HCT was always on the low side, the MDs said her body had just adjusted to that because she was like that for so long. Because of her age, they said a BMT was not an option and they were talking about Dacogin or Vidaza treatment but probably needing to cut it back to 2 or 3 days (and not the standard 5-7 day treatment per month). I've asked for a copy of her final BMB report and hopefully that will give me more answers. I've been reading through some threads but haven't come across anyone in her age group with MDS. If there is anyone out there, I'd love to hear from you. Thanks again.