View Single Post
Old Sun Mar 16, 2014, 03:24 PM

Unhappy Need help understanding BMB report

Hello,

My mom has undergone 7 chemo sessions and her latest BMB report seems scary. We cannot see the doctor until Friday and I am getting restless. She is complaining of not nausea and pain in the eye (tiring feeling). Her period has been going on for about 9-10 days now. Her Hb is 7-8 and Platelets are around 30,000 only.

I will be grateful if someone can explain to me what this holds for her:

Microscopic Examination:

Adequate bone marrow biopsy with 9-10 hypercellular bone marrow spaces with cellularity >90%. Majority of cells are aggregate of dyspoietic megakaryocytes which are grossly increased in number. Other cells are myeloid and show maturation upto bands but show abnormal localization of immature precursor deposits.

Erythroid series shows megaloblastic maturation.

Results of IHC:

CD34 - Positive in blasts which form 14% of all nucleated cells
CD61 - Highlights both dyspoietic micromegakaryocytes & large normal megakaryocytes,

Reticulin

Reticulin not increased in 50% spaces while other spaces show grade I myelofibrosis.

Opinion

A known case of MDS RAEB type 2. Earlier in grossly hemodiluted bone marrow aspirate - BM/173/14, 9% blasts MDS in RAEB Type 1 given, however in view of 14% blasts on biopsy diagnosis is upgraded to MDS in RAEB type 2.

Once again, I am very very thankful for the help and eagerly waiting for response.

Thank you very much