View Single Post
Old Thu May 16, 2013, 07:21 AM

Question confused and scared

In March of 2013 my mother was diagnosed with Paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria (PNH) which has turned into Severer Aplastic Anemia... Her doctor sent us directly to Boston Mass. where she did a round of ATG, which was about 8 weeks ago now... it seems that the ATG did stick once or twice. Her red and white blood cells will hold their own for 7 to 10 days. The highest her platelets ever got was 35,000... within a few days there right back to two or three or four thousand, she needs them every 2/3 days... we go for bone marrow transplant consultation on May 30th my question would be... do we go through another round of ATG... or just go ahead with BMT? My mother is in good health other than the SAA and PNH... but she is 67 years old... also she has two siblings that are matches, so is there a higher percentage for a successful transplant if you use a male or female sibling donor? I am so glad to hear that some for you have had a successful BMT and are still doing great!!! I am confused and scared….