View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 16, 2015, 06:35 AM

Sorry to hear this Julie. I never got any mucositis with my first round of chemo but a mild dose with the second for which I had a fentanyl patch for. With my transplant, I got the worse dose ever!! ( well it certainly felt like that )! At the worst I was on constant fentanyl with a push button for extra doses that I controlled. I refused to get anything & would use the suction hose or spit my saliva into a tissue to avoid swallowing! It certainly was not fun & I think I spent the better part of a week, in a drug induced haze! And even with that, I don't think I was ever pain free or comfortable enough to eat. (I was on TPN feeds).. I remember several instances that I would get these excruciating headaches, so severe that I would vomit (which was beyond painfull) & I would discover my blood pressure was super high! I never did work out if the headache was caused by the high blood pressure or the severe pain caused my BP to sky rocket!!

Sorry, I don't have anything helpful to add really but for you to know that we have been there! Like Dan said, take all the pain relief offered & try to eat anything that appeals. Fevers are awful, and tiring.. Removing your pic line is almost always their response to fevers if nothing shows in the blood cultures. I went through 3 during my 2 rounds of induction chemos. Was not happy because they hurt like anything for the first week or so.

Anyway hang in there once your white cells make a comeback the mucositis clears up quickly. We are all thinking of you and hope you recover quickly.