View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 26, 2008, 11:36 PM

Smile Vidaza for my 85 yr old mother with MDS?

Hi,
I'm a new member who's seeking info and support as I try to help make treatment decisions for my 85 yr old mother who was diagnosed with MDS in June 2007 - although she only got a bone marrow biopsy 2 wks ago and on 12/2/08 we'll get details on her subtype and prognosis. Since June 2007 she's been on Procrit with only occasional transfusions but in the past few months has had to get more frequent transfusions, as her hemoglobin doesn't stay above 8.0 for more than 1-2 wks. Her hemotologist recommends starting chemo, probably with Vidaza - will know which treatment I suppose after bone marrow biopsy results. While we had hoped to hold off on chemo, it seems like this is her only option. Just wondering how elderly people tolerate side effects of Vidaza and other chemo agents for MDS and how long it takes for these agents to show efficacy, if appropriate agent for that subtype. Birgitta-A's 11/5/08 response to RebeccaLeigh was informative, thank you! Any other first hand experience or insight re. chemo in elderly patients with MDS would be greatly appreciated.
Francine S: My mom, 85 yrs old, prelim diagnosis of MDS ~ June 2007. Nov, 20, 2008 BM biopsy results confirm MDS: RCMD subtype, 3% Blasts, Hypercellular marrow, approx. 70%; no chromosome abberations; transfusion dependent.