View Single Post
Old Sat Aug 7, 2010, 10:38 PM

Atg failed- now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by susansr View Post
Had horse ATG in February 2010. platelets hovering at 30,000 and Hct at 28.
Transfusion-free for 12 weeks. Docs not satisfied with response and think I should consider BMT at this time. Am 54 y.o. and very confused what to do.
Any feedback?
Hi Susan and Marian,
I'm afraid I don't have any answers but just wanted to say that I understand your anxiety and concern about the future. I'm 9 months out of ATG (horse) and saw oncologist yesterday. My numbers are just as they were before treatment-- Platelets 32,000, HGB 27, and RBC 2.2. He didn't suggest a second ATG because we got no response and I've had terrible side effects with Prograf so he took me off it. I'll get second BMB on Friday and we will discuss the results in 2 weeks. I'm 69 and he ruled out BMT because of risks and his only suggestion was a clinical trial with Neal Young at NIH. I feel a little like an orphan with no ongoing treatment but I guess it's just watch and wait for a while to see what's going to happen. I'm almost hoping something treatable shows up on the BMB as I'm discouraged for now. Good luck to both of you and I hope your treatment plans hit the mark.
Best of luck,
Flyguy

Last edited by flyguy : Sat Aug 7, 2010 at 10:39 PM. Reason: misspelled word