View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 27, 2013, 11:35 AM

Just an update 5 weeks on that my shingles (the worst anyone's ever seen) caused nerve damage so I've been on lots of painkillers, and I'm still waiting for the neural-specific ones (Gabapentin & Amitriptaline) to take effect so I can stop with the others (paracetemol/tylenol, naproxen, and tramadol, plus topical lidocaine). I've got a really good GP right now and she recognised that I was feeling worse doing absolutely nothing so she said I'm okay to do the odd afternoon at work and go for some gentle/short runs (yippee!) so I'm feeling better now mentally just for those.

I saw a Pain Clinic nurse who said what I'm describing isn't technically PHN since I wouldn't even be able to touch the skin on that, so it sounds like mine's nerve pain but without going full-blown PHN. So fingers crossed the neural painkillers can deal with it and stop it getting worse.

(I've had to pull out of this weekend's half marathon in Paris and I'm getting nervous with only 11 weeks to go before the Copenhagen marathon, but my trainer's not concerned yet so I'm just going to try to relax...)
36/F - 1984 SAA treated with ATG [complete remission until] Oct 08 - burst blood vessels in eyes and low platelets; Jan 09 - AA & hypo-MDS; July 09 - BMT (RIC MUD PSCT) July 10 - 10k for Anthony Nolan (1yr post BMT! 53:48) Sep 10 - Wedding! I've run 5 marathons now!! (PB 3:30!)