View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 3, 2010, 02:00 AM

Recovery of counts

Hi Kim,

FWIW, I relapsed from ATG treatment I had in 12/06, starting after the CsA taper, in June 2007. We stopped the taper at 75mg/day and did the watch and wait thing until June 2008, when I saw Dr Paquette at UCLA; my local doctor wanted me to undergo another round of ATG. Before ATG, I was getting 2 units of PRBC every 2 weeks, and platelets weekly. After the relapse, I was getting 2 units of PRBC every 2 months, and platelets when needed for procedures. At that time, my whites were around 2.5, ANC around 1.5, hgb in the low 8's, and platelets in the low 20's.

Dr Paquette upped my dose of CsA to 200mg twice a day. I had my last PRBC transfusion a month later, and by the end of the year, my whites were nearly normal, my hemoglobin was above 10, and my platelets were around 35.

Today my whites are 5, ANC is 2.5, hgb is 12, and platelets around 70. I have pretty much a normal life, with no symptoms.

So there is hope for a recovery using CsA alone...

HTH

Bill
Male, 56, dx Nov2006 VSAA (BMA:0%). Responded to ATG/CsA/Prednisone/Neupogen Dec 2006, but relapsed in June 2007. Counts are responding to using CsA 200mg bid alone since Jun 2008. Last PRBC tx: Jul 2008.