View Single Post
Old Fri Nov 21, 2014, 11:14 PM

Lizab - so sorry to read about your son. It would be extremely difficult having to deal with these problems in your child. I guess the only comfort I can give is that strangely, you can get used to "watch and wait" especially if your son remains relatively well - but how does he feel on a day to day basis?

Barbara - I am surprised that your doctor would diagnose your husband with 'nutritional' anaemia. That seems ignorant to me. I am also vegetarian except for very occasional fish (and don't drink coffee or alcohol and have never been a smoker). I have many friends with a similar lifestyle who don't have any blood problems at all. My impression from research I've done is that just as many meat eaters suffer from anaemia as vegetarians and possibly even more, as vegetarians tend to eat a lot of fruit and vegies which give them the ascorbic acid (Vit C) to enhance iron absorption.

My red cells (3.2) and haemoglobin (108) aren't much below normal and like your husband quality iron supplements don't make any difference to the levels, though taking iron does help me sleep better.

Does your husband have regular IgG infusions?
Dx MDS RAEB 10% blasts + hypogammaglobulinemia, Sep 2011. Jan 2012 BMB - blasts down to 2% w/out treatment so BMT cancelled. Re-diagnosis RCMD. Watch and wait from Feb 2012. IVIg 5-weekly. New diagnosis Oct 2019 AML 23% blasts in marrow, 10% blasts in peripheral blood.