Thread: Should I worry.
View Single Post
Old Sun May 29, 2016, 10:16 PM

Thank you so much Greg and Paul I really do appreciate your response . He has had his iron and ferritin done as routine while he has been taking the iron over the past two yrs .everything comes up to the low end normal range but not much further he feels much better when on iron when he comes off its just like he can't maintain or keep up.

When we went to see the hematologist his numbers were good as he had been taking iron and he then took him off iron, he was quite dismissive and unconcerned. But I thought OK you know he's right if my child is really sick with some kind of bmd then it will show up within the time off iron and be easier to evaluate.

then we waited for 6 months so I have no idea what it did in between but he seemed pretty OK for the most part but recently has been grumpy and not his usual activity level, but tests say his hbg is good just that retic is low. He says his bones tingle.... if that makes any sense I don't know if means anything or if it's just him being a silly 7 yr old. He also has been asking to please go back on his iron. This kid is also my biggest eater has a Green smoOties regularly is probably one of the few 7 yr Olds out there that will turn over a package and read the iron content to find out if it's "a good iron choice"... also we do eat meat as well regularly.

He was on a powder iron it was 1/4 of a tsp a day, he was on some liquid type in the beginning but that was changed.

We are in Canada so we would have to get a referral to a different hematologist if that's what we wanted to do.l m kind of at a loss tho ... I mean the pediatrician said one minute that he was sending him to the hematologist because he felt it was time for a bmb the next time we see him hes discharging us from him care...when we saw the hematologist he was unconcerned with the ups and downs over two years and felt the low retic was r/t a virus and didn't need to see him again.

Then we went to our follow up pediatric appointment and he said he didn't need to see us anymore either.... but now these results so maybe a low retic means nothing if hbg is good? But Ireally bet if we did the test in a month again the hbg would be down. Ugh thanks again to both of you for your responses ... I guess What I mostly want to know is if a retic count Is Continually low is it cause for concern.