Thread: candidiasis
View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 4, 2009, 03:33 AM

candidiasis

Hi,

I had a gastroscopy/colonoscopy today. I have this every 2 years because of Barretts esophagus and past history of colon polyps.

Today, the gastroenterologist told me that I have gastritis (I have had this every time), antral erosions but normal duodenum. I also had 3 more polyps removed.

The one thing that concerns me, is that he found esophageal candidiasis. I have googled this and I see where it's a sign of being immunocompromised. I know I always have a low total white cell count but the neutrophil count is usually only a little low. It's the lymphocytes that are always very low and at the moment they are only 0.3

My doctor (hematologist/physician) never pays any attention to the low count. I have never had lymphocyte subsets taken. I'm also getting a lot of skin lesions that take months to heal. I'm now wondering if this is also a sign of candidiasis. I also read where the condition can be systemic if there is a central line insitu. I have a portocath.

Has anyone else had this? How would I know if it was systemic? Is there any treatment to increase lymphocyte counts?

I have not been offered any treatment for the esophageal candidiasis, I was told to see my GP to be prescribed treatment. This seems inappropriate to me. I feel he should have prescribed treatment while I was in his office. I have also developed a very low vitamin B12 and active B12 level. I also asked about this and was told that he didn't know why I have it and dismissed me. I was told (by my GP) that I needed to have B12 injections weekly for a while and then monthly after that. These haven't been mentioned again. I haven't had any injections and my anaemia is getting worse. I now have monthly transfusions instead of every 5 weeks. I think it's not because the bone marrow is getting worse but because my B12 is low and causing anaemia as well.

I feel like no one is listening to me. I have a reputation among the nurses as being pleasant and compliant and I try hard not to complain, but to remain as upbeat as I can, but I'm starting to get quite angry. Not at the nurses or any of the doctors in particular but at the system as a whole. No one seems to communicate with each other and they all seem to assume that some one else is dealing with any problems.

I have to have another transfusion on Friday and I told the unit secretary that when I'm admitted this time, that I insist on seeing the doctor for a consultation to discuss my blood test results, treatment and prognosis. Even though I have demanded this, I'm almost certain it won't happen.

Maybe I'm clutching at straws but, I'm wondering if I get treated for systemic (or even just esophageal) candidiasis, and B12 deficiency anaemia, that I might start feeling a little better.

Tomorrow, I'll feel embarrassed about writing this whinge, but today, I feel like I need to.

Thanks.

Chirley
Xq19.36 mutation
Xq21.40. mutation
1p36. Mutation
15q11.2 deletion