View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 27, 2013, 06:03 PM

BM test

Hi Crystal,

I was diagnosed with MDS last year and have had 4 bone marrow tests since. Two of them under anesthesia at the hospital. During the procedure you are asleep, you don't have to worry about any feeling pain. After the area is sore for two days. I have also done two BM tests wide awake, and the doctor just numbed the area really good and all you feel is pressure to the hip. It is not pleasant, I was shaking like a leaf before and after from nervousness, but during the test, you have to stay very still and its over sooner than you think. Having my sister with me was comforting and at the same time takes your attention elsewhere. The results come back usually in few days or a week later, depending if they do the tests at the same location or if the test will be sent elsewhere for results.

Don't stress yourself with the unknown or any outrageous possibilities. Don't google random websites, stay with highly recognized companies, hospitals or society websites. (UCLA, cedar sinai, Hopkins, american cancer association, mayo clinic). Positivity, staying active, determination, courage, patience, will take you far when faced with an illness. There are no stupid questions, so ask away! Support groups like this are beneficial when you think you are the only one with some side effect or symptom, and although we don't all have same diagnosis, we have been in your shoes emotionally.

All the best, happy Thanksgiving!

Tii 37 yrs, MDS & T-cell Leukemia (BMT 12/12)