View Single Post
Old Thu May 8, 2014, 05:26 PM

Hello, I'm sure it can certainly happen. I remembered reading this article at the time, http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/11/health...los/index.html. My son's Aplastic Anemia was set off by a nasty upper respiratory virus. In this case the man got the flu and an acute bacterial infection, which led to his lungs failing, which in turn also caused his liver and bone marrow to begin to fail. I remember it because it was published in OCT 2013 (not so long ago), soon after my son was diagnosed. Here is an excerpt.:

"It all began in December with a bad bout of the flu that led to an acute bacterial infection. By the time he checked into the hospital, Carlos was barely hanging on.

"We walked into the triage, and his oxygen level was only 57%, and everybody turned a corner," Carlos' wife, Brenda Voglewede, told CNN. Healthy blood oxygen levels are higher than 95%.

Carlos was in deep trouble. He had developed acute respiratory distress syndrome, also known as ARDS. It was slowly killing Carlos by attacking his lungs.

"Not only that, but he had multiple organ failure related to the infection. So his kidneys were not working. His liver was not working. And his bone marrow was failing as well," said Dr. Ashok Babu, a cardiothoracic surgeon at the University of Colorado Hospital."

So it is definitely possible that your bone marrow problems are in relation to your liver problems, which may be caused by the same mechanism. But it's not encouraging that you feel worse and seem to be getting worse instead of better.

I think a bone marrow biopsy is definitely in order. I don't know if they would decide to do the ATG if they decide that you do have Aplastic Anemia - ATG is hard on the liver. But they have other drugs, for example Cyclophosphamide, which is used in both low and high doses for a whole range of autoimmune disorders. I would like you to find some answers. I found your other thread about your liver issue and your bone marrow failure after this one (although you posted the other first) and you shouldn't feel this way, I want you to feel better. Also, if you feel better after rest, yes, my belief is that you should definitely not try to push yourself so hard, go on disability if you need to, and rest. Disability is there for a reason, hardworking people should take it if they need to.