View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 18, 2008, 01:25 AM

choijk

Hello Choijk;

The risk of your father getting AML is low. My husband has MDS RAEB type2 and his type only about 40% do transform into AML.

I wonder why your fathers doctor didn't give your father a Iron Infusion, Rather than waiting for his need for more blood. I say this because it was thought my brother had leukemia. As he was having so many transfusions. His primary MD. Was putting him threw one test after another. I demanded he be seen by a hemotologist. it was found that my brothers bone marrow could not produce the iron needed to form his red blood cells. After several iron infusions. Dave has been transfusion free for 5 years now. They tricked his bone marrow. Perhaps seeking another, Hemotologist advice may bring a better option for your father..

As Ruth and others have said, Iron over load is needed to watch..

My husbands doctor, gave Randy, Iron infusions before he even started his first round of Chemo. Vidaza. He said he didn't want to risk his Hemoglobins dropping.

Just a thought hon.. As I know it can be a scarry thing with a love one going threw so much.

Your dad needs to know and learn all he can about MDS. As it is his body and his right to be informed. It will help him in the long run.

I am keeping you and your family in my prayers..

Lillian