Thread: A little lost
View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 29, 2015, 10:16 PM

A little lost

Hello Everyone,

I am new to this forum and I have read through some of the previous posts. Reading the other posts makes me feel like I know I am not alone and as a care giver sometimes it's hard not to feel that way.

My dad is 71 and was diagnosed with MDS over two years ago. Recently it's become leukemia. He's was getting AZA shots but his body stopped responding and now the dr has started Dacogen treatments. His first treatment was last week. Shortly days after his treatment he came home but then started to have chest pain and had to be admitted it was like he was having a heart attack. But his hemoglobin level was 5 and the drs think it's because he wasn't having enough blood being pumped to his heart. My dad is starting to lose hope and so am I. I am trying to stay positive for him. Given his age and his other cormorbidities the drs don't think a transplant would be beneficial for him because it may worsen his condition. He's been needing more transfusions basically everyday red blood and platelets.

I don't know else to do. I am just trying to spend as much time with him as possible but I have a mortgage, bills and kids. The drs think worse case scenario he's got 2-3 months left best case 1-2 years. Does anyone have any advice for me? Feeling a little lost right now?