View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 4, 2016, 11:47 PM

Hi Barbara - I understand your fear, considering what happened to your adoptive father. However you can do a lot by implementing simple hygiene measures such as handwashing, minimal close contact (eg hugging, kissing) with non-family members, washing fruits and vegies thoroughly, a vegetarian diet and lots of water to drink, to counter the risk of infection.

I've lived for many years with average neuts 0.8. lymphs 0.5 and WCC around 1.6-1.8 and am seldom ill. When I do get an infection I don't take longer than anyone else to come through it. One day that might change, but in the mean time I minimise consumption of foods containing sugar (except for honey, stevia or xylitol). If I know i'm getting an infection, I treat it quickly.

Have you been diagnosed with a specific bone marrow failure disease? How are your globulin levels? People on this forum will be able to encourage you and inform you more I'm sure.
Dx MDS RAEB 10% blasts + hypogammaglobulinemia, Sep 2011. Jan 2012 BMB - blasts down to 2% w/out treatment so BMT cancelled. Re-diagnosis RCMD. Watch and wait from Feb 2012. IVIg 5-weekly. New diagnosis Oct 2019 AML 23% blasts in marrow, 10% blasts in peripheral blood.