View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 10, 2009, 07:39 AM

Afraid my partner has mds.

Hello all,

I have read many of the stories here and I'm so glad I found this web site. I fear my partner of 23 years has MDS. I've just recently learned what MDS is by the unfortunate death of a retired co-worker. I hadn't even heard of this condition until news of my retired co-worker and oddly enough my partner at the same time received "low" blood counts from his hematologist/oncologist. It's too coincidental that I was "given" this information about mds the way I did, but I digress. Anyway, my partner's blood counts are low, he has fatigue, he has frequent mouth sores, his arms at the shoulder hurt, and he bruises easily. His hemo/oncologist doctor is still in the lab phase, but I know deep down my partner has MDS. I'm scared. I thought we would be together forever as two old men. I don't know what to expect. Will his health slowly deteriorate or will he be gone in a year like my retire co-worker who was diagnosed in April 2008 and just passed away yesterday. Are there foods I can give him? Greens? Liver? I guess I'm mostly scared and I don't know how long he will live or what type of death he faces? I'm sorry if that sounds so frank but I can't help thinking of those things.

Thank you so much for any information and just for being here.
- George