View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 22, 2007, 03:21 AM

Question regarding transfusion

Thank you for all your encouraging words. It means a lot to me.

Can someone clarify something for me please? I know that each case is different in regards to how many times a person can receive blood transfusion. For instance, one person can receive 10-12 while another can receive 50-100 before there is an iron overload. In regards to this, does this mean the amount of times a person can receive transfusions (i.e., 10-12) or does this mean the amount of units/pints a person can receive (i.e., 10-12)?

I apologize if I am not making any sense. But so far, my dad has received 2 blood transfusions. The first time, he received 3 pints. The second time (about nearly 2 months later when his hgb was at a 6.6) he received 2 pints. Does this mean that my dad received 2 transfusions or 5 transfusions?

Thank you for all your help. As the days linger, I find myself more and more hungry for information and I am so thankful that I found this site. Not only for information but also for endless support.....Thank you all again......
June, daugther. 71 yr old father dx on 01/13/07 with MDS/MPD - RCMD/Secondary MF). No excess blasts no excess chromosomes. Hypercelluar 70-80%. Low hgb. Transfusion dependent every 3-4 weeks/2pints. Began Procrit on 03/27/07. No progress thus far. Taking Folic Acid, B6, CoQ10, and Cod Liver Oil