View Single Post
Old Mon May 5, 2014, 10:04 PM

Marlene,

I thought you may like this article. I found it fascinating:

NIH Director's Blog:
Secrets of a Supercentenarian’s Genome
http://directorsblog.nih.gov/2014/04...arians-genome/

It's a great read if you're a regular on these boards because they tested her blood, stem cells, and telomeres, and if you read the threads on here you know what the article is talking about.

Also, not noted in the article, she gives the answer. Hennie "attributed her remarkable longevity to eating raw salted herring, to drinking orange juice, and—with a twinkle in her eye—“to breathing.”"

And later in the article "A post-mortem exam, conducted immediately after Hennie’s death in 2005, revealed that her brain was free of beta-amyloid plaques, which are characteristic of an aging brain and plentiful in Alzheimer’s disease. In addition, the arteries that supplied her brain with blood were supple, not hardened as is often seen in older brains. Intriguingly, when Hennie’s mother died at the age of 100, she also had no signs of age-related dementia."

Given the anti-inflammatory properties of fish oil, it wouldn't be surprising to me that a daily intake of a small, raw, oil-rich fish would keep your arteries healthy.