View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 19, 2016, 06:38 PM

Greg, again very interesting. I am in the middle of my 20th (and last) cycle of Vidaza (eight cycles pre-transplant and twelve after relapse after transplant). Remember that Vidaza often takes up to six cycles to be effective.

My interest in the telomeres was heightened when I relapsed. I had a lung fungal infection at about Day +210. Immediately preceding that I was on 160 mg/day prednisone and had the corresponding temporary Diabetes II. My theory (probably wrong, but I like it) is that this situation greatly shortened my telomeres and caused my relapse. Up until that time I was 100 percent donor cells. My relapse was strange in that none of the genetic mutations prior to transplant have appeared. Instead, I relapsed to AML and the "Philadelphia chromosome" which is a translocation of the 9th and 22nd chromosome (very rare). After three rounds of Vidaza and Sprycel (a TKI targeting the 9;22) I have been mutation free and doing very well physically. I feel fortunate in that I have had very little GVHD and feeling fine.
We will follow your progress with interest and hope you do very well.