View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 19, 2016, 07:04 PM

Thanks for the interesting response - I was also advised with low risk MDS to wait - and did so until I was needing frequent transfusions, had excess blasts showing up (maybe 8% but probably lower) and a mutation (I don't recall what) that showed up briefly but disappeared before transplant. I tried EPO and Vidaza along the way, unfortunately without success.

My experience with watching and waiting was a slow but steady decline, waiting to get bad enough for transplant - exercising got harder with no hope of long term improvement - I found it fairly depressing - The positive thing about transplant is that it brought hope for being cured - and the prospect of continuously getting better and returning to normal activities - I felt a little more in control - I could maintain a positive attitude, force myself to move and eat - Although with plenty of bumps in the road - overall the experience has been inspiring.

I'm glad you've done well up until now - and am expecting you to fly through the transplant -

Best wishes

Paul
Lower risk MDS diagnosed 2012. Recurring skin nodules treated with prednisone, otherwise watch and wait. HG dropped from 11.5 to 8.7. Kept going down to 5. Vidaza didn't work. BMT from MUD on September 10 2015