View Single Post
Old Sun Jul 8, 2007, 09:50 PM

Santiago,

Thanks so much for the nice words. It didn't take me 20 years to know that AA was going to be with me always, or in fact that it would in some ways come to define me. I don't consider my attitude an acceptance or resignation to any reality. My attitude has never changed from the day I was diagnosed. Some called it denial, others ignorance but I have always known, in my heart of hearts, that today is not the day that AA is going to take me home, no matter what twist or turn develops. Tomorrow could tell a different story, or I could be run over by a truck. I live my life on my own terms (which my doctors don't always condone), and consider that I "coexist" with AA. Many of my dreams did not come true, either and I live with that sorrow. But so many good things that I could never have imagined, have come true. Reaching the ripe old age of 51 does bring some perspective that is not available to one who is 19 or 24.

That said, I think you have a wonderfully mature view of things and would expect you to do tremendously well, based on your attitude. You will figure out how to fit with your contemporaries despite your different challenges. I am certain that you are already a better person for it.....and when the right girl comes along, it won't even be an issue.

best,
Andrea