View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 3, 2011, 09:58 AM

I'm not sure I could keep that secret for very long. When John first got ill, we did not share the news with everyone until we got a final diagnosis and were working on treatment plan. This was only because we did not want everyone sitting on pins and needles like were while they determined if it was leukemia, MDS or SAA. It could be your mom is having a difficult time dealing with her diagnosis and has some fears she needs to figure before she lets everyone know. At some point, I would have to address it with her in loving, caring way. Just let her know that you know, and when she's ready to talk to you about it, you'll be there for her.

Your current medical description generates more questions for me. I assume you have been tested hemochromatosis and if your FE/iron is high, you've been doing therapeutic phlebotomies to reduce the iron. Depending on long you've had elevated iron, it can impact your liver. I also assume your B12 and folate are in the mid to upper level of normal. Most everyone over 50 will start having lower levels of B12 because they are not pulling it out of their food as well as they used to. But since your mom and her father have/had issues, you may as well. Low B12 or folate can cause larger red cells.

Have they checked your EPO (erythopoietin) level to see if they are elevated? EPO stimulates the production of red cells and is produced by the kidneys.
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.

Last edited by Marlene : Thu Nov 3, 2011 at 12:39 PM.