View Single Post
Old Sun Apr 29, 2012, 07:22 PM

Salva, have your mother's doctors said with certainty that there is no autoimmune mechanism at work? I am a bit confused by this. I am not a medical expert, so perhaps someone can explain this to me, but my understanding of autoimmune responses doesn't rule out there being an outside trigger. If the radioactive iodine caused some cell mutation or aplasia, the immune system would then attack those mutated cells as if they were foreign bodies. It's all part of the same process, at least that is my understanding. If that is the case, then immune suppressant treatment may help to stop the attack, although it won't get rid of the abnormal cells. She might have to remain on cyclosporine forever, which can cause other problems. Maybe that is what they are concerned about.

The alternative is to have a bone marrow transplant, which would presumably have the same chance of success whether her condition is autoimmune or not. Does she have a suitable marrow donor? And do her doctors think she is healthy enough to undergo a transplant?

Good luck to both of you!