View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 27, 2013, 11:28 AM

Don't let the readmission get you down - at the start of my transplant they told me that EVERYONE will get readmitted for something or other and it's just part of the process. I ended up back in for 5 weeks after mine, which was longer than my transplant itself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam View Post
I am thinking that in November I am going to try and do a half a marathon.. Does anyone think this would not be doable? Let me say I am not a runner, and will be a lot of work... But I think it would be awesome to finish this year out better than I started it which was getting my BMT on December 9th of 2012. Then finish 2013 with a half marathon at Disney world...
I think it's doable. I ran a 10K race for my 1st rebirthday, and I think a half is well within your grasp. I was very surprised to find that I hadn't lost as much fitness as I thought even considering what I'd been through and that I'd been off running for 18 months. If you're starting as a beginner, it's going to be a tough slog but the secret to running is that it's 90% mental, and you've already proven you're mentally tough. And if your goal is to finish, and no particular time, then you'll be just fine - people regularly walk half marathons and they've not been through half of what you have! It's important to have things to look forward to, and I'd say if you want to do this, sign up now so you're committed.
36/F - 1984 SAA treated with ATG [complete remission until] Oct 08 - burst blood vessels in eyes and low platelets; Jan 09 - AA & hypo-MDS; July 09 - BMT (RIC MUD PSCT) July 10 - 10k for Anthony Nolan (1yr post BMT! 53:48) Sep 10 - Wedding! I've run 5 marathons now!! (PB 3:30!)