View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 21, 2013, 12:52 PM

Re

Thx Jay, glad you had a good experience (again with conscious sedation!). Glenda, does the bruise still hurt? You probably had the manual method. That's what I'm concerned about, longer term pain/discomfort. Good that you had no pain during the procedure though, and sounds like it was ok for you, but how were the first 2, were they worse?. I think sedation is definitely a good option. But you can imagine how manually trying to dig a needle through bone must be rather difficult and cumbersome, it's bound to involve a lot of twisting and pressure which causes more damage around the area, even if we don't feel it during the op. That's what I hope the drill method can reduce.

The Oncontrol system is being trialled in the UK at the moment (we are always so far behind the USA in things like this!). I think they are trying to get some NHS hospitals onboard, but it is in the very early stages. I think it could catch on, because I read that a lot of doctors are getting RSI/carpal tunnel syndrome from this procedure! All that pressure and twisting the needle by hand takes it's toll. We will see how things progress.