View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 1, 2007, 03:46 PM

Hey Kevin,

Yes,..I can attest to the receding gums..after years in braces and having great teeth..I was told that it was due to my 0 platelet count..who knows..I know that the long term immunosuppressive use can lead to overgrown gums but not recessive. I have extra sensitive gums now and dont get my teeth cleaned on a regular basis anymore. I have not had spleen problems but its certainly not unheard of and have mine checked regularly by my oncologist both here in Fl and at NIH.

Anyway, hope you do some research on the NIH web page. Especially without health insurance ,
all of your treatments would be at no charge if accepted into a clinical trial. The initial flight for diagnosis is usually at your own cost but if accepted your flights will be paid to Bethesda,MD and most of your hotel room will be covered also. You may be able to get reimbursed for the flight out of pocket by AAMDS up to $500.

Wish you well,
Judi

PS Sorry, I forgot the treatment. NIH gave me a mouthwash called Biotene to help kill the bacteria around the gums. It helped some, but I still ended up with gum problems.

Be glad to email with you to help sort out your symptoms and side effects.I feel the same way about all the people who helped me through and the only way I feel I can repay any of it is to pay it forward to other patients who are going through the same, so contact me anytime!!
Judi 46yoa VSAA diagnosed May 2003 ATG/Cyclosporine/mycophenolate treatment complete remission ukn cause. I believe caused by stress while on an antibiotic or an allergic reaction to the antibiotic. I also had ITP about 20 years prior.

Last edited by Jbsx19 : Wed Aug 1, 2007 at 04:05 PM. Reason: forgot the treatment