View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 10, 2014, 07:43 AM

Thanks Dena for your sharing and concern for my niece. Glad to know that your SAA is gone. It is indeed encouraging to hear success stories. May I know if your transplant is 10/10 match? Do you have GVHD?

My niece is not on steroid currently, but has been on cyclosporine alone for a year. Not good results. Just maintain platelets around 15k – 20k and re-started RBC transfusion early this year.

In Hong Kong, we do not have “guarantee” period, and potential donors can back out any time. So we just hold the faith that those who have registered in the donor registry will “keep their promise” to donate. We have been considering the transplant option, but my niece seems has decided not to pursue this option, at least at this stage. She is not willing to bear the risks of transplant, which are too scary to her. We cannot “push” her to the transplant option as this is her decision after all. She even refused to do second ATG now, probably because the improvements gained from the 1st time experience is limited and short lived. So she just keeps cyclosporine for the time being, and “wait and watch”.