View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 5, 2010, 05:10 PM

Thanks Marlene, I appreciate your taking the time to respond. As far as why my mom's bladder is bleeding - we were told by the urologist that she has cystitis, a result of recurring urinary tract infections. Through the past year plus she has been treated with antibiotics to treat the UTI's - but they would always come back. The last time she was in the hospital the urologist performed a cytoscopy to examine her bladder (the hospitalist had been telling us that the mass she saw in a cat scan was probably a cancerous tumor-luckily she was wrong, it was a mass of blood clots). So, what we have been told is that her bladder is very inflamed and, besides antibiotic treatment (which they took her off of when she went on hospice), there is nothing that can be done to help. We were also told that the bleeding in the bladder is due to her low platelets.

As far as palliative care goes, I agree. Her current insurance plan does not cover this (or the plan she is with does not have this). I am looking into changing her medicare plan this month to an insurance company that covers for and provides both palliative and hospice care. I think with palliative care we can get the red blood transfusions and other treatment.

She has been drinking cranberry juice for many months now to treat the UTI's - I'll look into more natural remedies.

Again, thanks for responding. I am still not ready to give up and appreciate your ideas and encouragement.