View Single Post
Old Fri May 6, 2011, 12:30 AM

I would really appreciate your thoughts . . .

We're trying to decide if BMT makes sense for Shauna and will meet with SCCA in Seattle on May 20th to get their opinion. I'm still really struggling with the idea of a transplant with all the risks when she has low normal counts, although they appear to be dependent on cyclosporine. Both of her hematologists recommend transplant. I'm wondering about the possibility of suggesting a VERY slow taper to see if her counts will hold this time. If they don't, we probably have our answer about transplant, but if they do . . .

Then again, if she can consistently recover her counts using cyclosporine and she's able to be off the medicine for some periods of time (14 months last stretch), is that a more reasonable long-term option than risking GVHD etc. from a transplant? Of course, what if the next time she relapses the cyclosporine doesn't work? and is the toll of the cyclosporine and AA on her kidneys and marrow better or worse than potential GVHD, prednisone side effects, radiation, etc.

Then of course there is the whole issue of being covered under our health insurance policy only until she is 26 . . .

Sorry if I'm rambling. It's a hard decision, but we're VERY thankful that we have options. I continue to pray for those that struggle with this disease, many of whom don't have any options. Thanks for any thoughts.