View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 11, 2012, 05:26 PM

Hi, I have a horror story too. When I was in hospital earlier this year and had critical neutropenia at the time they put me in a 4 bed ward with one lady who was on antibiotics for an unknown infection that wasn't responding to treatment.

When I asked to be moved I was told that that hospital didn't isolate people with neutropenia. Then just to top it off, the nurses started disconnecting the lines from my port for my shower. I told them that this practice worried me and I would prefer if they didn't keep disconnecting and reconnecting. I also objected to them reconnecting the same lines that had been sitting there with nothing on the end to retain the sterility. I was told I was being obsessive and histrionic! I had not been rude or aggressive and I became REALLY annoyed when I was accused of this.

I asked to speak to the Director of Nursing of the hospital and when he came I told him about the unsafe nursing practice in his hospital. He vehemently denied any problems and walked out on me. I had worked as an Infection Management nurse for 25 years and I think I know unsafe practice when I see it.

I refuse ever to be admitted to that hospital again. I know some nurses and doctors are better at adhering to guidelines than others but when bad practice is condoned by management, it's time to get out of Dodge.

Regards

Chirley
Xq19.36 mutation
Xq21.40. mutation
1p36. Mutation
15q11.2 deletion