View Single Post
Old Sun Mar 15, 2009, 11:48 AM

Transplant Reflections

I am about three weeks out. Tomorrow I will be cutting my now shoulder length hair very short in anticipation of my chemo hair loss. We will be checking out the facility called the "sharing place" that is a 15 bedroom home for recovering cancer patients. It sounds like it will work out fine for us and it is really close to the hospital. There are so many programs available at Sutter Sacramento. This home is only $20 a night and my insurance will cover $100 a night for 21 days. It has a shared kitchen and we love people so I think it will be a good setting. As I read the stories on Marrow forms I have to say that I am humbled and thankful that this procedure is available to me and my heart goes out to everyone struggling with this and you are all constantly in my prayers! I am feeling well and have been working out on a regular basis again. My BMB came back 1-2% of my formally 11-12% blasts but the report says"Given the continued increase(albeit mild) in CD34-positive blasts by immuno histochemistry, these changes are favored to represent an ongoing manifestation of the previously-diagnosed myelodysplastic syndrome over reactive/inflammatory changes or changes related to therapy''. So the Vidaza is doing it's job and suppressing this..but it is still there! By the way The Flower Lady is in Texas preparing for her transplant at MD Anderson. She is going in 3 days before me! I will keep you posted.
Vera, 56 yo female Dx RAEB II 10-08, 11-12% blasts. Normal chromosomes. Started Vidaza 10-08. . Improved Dx 3-09 MDS RA 2% blasts 8 cycles Vidaza! SCT transplant 7-1-09 at UCSF. Normal bone marrow and MDS free as of 10-09