View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 23, 2009, 04:52 PM

A Fresh Start

I had my first appointment at UCSF yesterday and all in all I liked it. My new doctor seems to have a good sense of humor and he faxed the national donor people my case number (which I finally got last week!) before my appointment was over! When you go in for a transplant you get a nurse who is your transplant coordinator and they help you with whatever you might need and my new one is a super gal! I had to do my HLA testing again and I think I re did my blood work to see what antibodies I have. I have to have another chest Xray and EKG, but most of all I have to wait to see if my donor comes back. We were offered a friend's home in Petaluma, they will be gone till August. It's about 35 miles from San Francisco and I was afraid that wouldn't be ok with the doctor but he said that was do able. That is a big load off my mind because things are really expensive in San Francisco and a lot of places want a lease. Also my brother lives in Petaluma and he can give my husband a break so he can go home occasionally to pay bills and check on the animals. You can see the bay from the BMT unit, 11TH floor. San Francisco is a beautiful City and I love the ocean but I gave up City life a long time ago and it's hard to give up my mountains!Still don't have a new date but I will keep you informed!
Vera, 56 yo female Dx RAEB II 10-08, 11-12% blasts. Normal chromosomes. Started Vidaza 10-08. . Improved Dx 3-09 MDS RA 2% blasts 8 cycles Vidaza! SCT transplant 7-1-09 at UCSF. Normal bone marrow and MDS free as of 10-09