View Single Post
Old Thu May 21, 2009, 11:49 AM

Latest News on my Transplant

Hello all. We spent 7 hours at UCSF on Tuesday. I had my family meeting with the Doc and nurse coordinator. My brother, husband, eldest nephew (35) and best friend were all in attendance and all want to share in the care giver duties and I am so happy about that. My consent papers are signed and I am participating in a blind study where I will give my info and blood for the national bone marrow institute. Because of better HLA testing it is becoming no longer necessary to have a related donor over a non related donor. That is very exciting news! Also the survival odds have actually got better. Another donor has become available for me and this person is a 10/10 match so they are testing the particulars to see who will be best so of course it is taking longer. I had a tentative date of 6-10 if it is my first donor. I think it will be more toward the end of next month. I am very lucky to have more than one donor! We also found out that the info I got on insurance travel coverage was bogus and you have to live over 500 miles R/T to get any coverage! We live 280 R/T. So I am so happy that we have our friend's house available to us. It is about 40 miles but takes over an hour with traffic. There are several assistance programs available for travel and co pays so I am wading through paperwork. I have to have another BMB next week and I was suppose to start the Vidaza injections on Monday. I have to wait 3 weeks after my treatment before I can start chemo for the transplant so the shots are up in the air..I will let you all know as I do!! Thanks everyone
Vera, 56 yo female Dx RAEB II 10-08, 11-12% blasts. Normal chromosomes. Started Vidaza 10-08. . Improved Dx 3-09 MDS RA 2% blasts 8 cycles Vidaza! SCT transplant 7-1-09 at UCSF. Normal bone marrow and MDS free as of 10-09