Thread: Home BUT ....
View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 14, 2012, 11:39 PM

Home BUT ....

We made it home this afternoon but I am very uncomfortable. Al is extremely short of breath and this is a new symptom for him. In the past (other than when he was on Vidaza) his platelets were his only problem. But now his reds have begun to tank. His hemoglobin was 7.1 when he was admitted to the hospital on Sunday after he passed out at home. His platelets were 4 but they have been low for quite a while.
So they gave him two units of red blood Sunday night (actually early Monday morning 3:00 a.m.) but his hemoglobin is only 25 now - not much of a bounce.
And while they discharged us today and we are home, I am very nervous and anxious.
I told Al he was going to have to get used to having a shadow for a while because I'm not going to let him out of my sight!
I stayed with him at the hospital as there was no reason for me to come home if he wasn't here. But those hospital chairs that are supposed to recline don't exactly make the most comfortable of beds; so, needless to say, I slept very little and we are both exhausted.
I've read a lot of the other posts on the forum and seems like there are a lot of us dealing with stressful issues this week - not that we're not always dealing with them - but this week seems like more than usual.
Thank everyone who has responded to my questions and offered support. It means so much.
Hopefully once I get a little rest I'll have the energy to catch up with everyone.
Thanks for your thoughts and prayers.
God bless,
Linda, Al's wife, 75; dx MDS 5/2010; Vidaza 6/2010; ARRY614 & Sapacitabine clinical trials at Emory, no results, stopped 12/2011. Had BMB at NIH on 6/5/12, blasts 10-15% so he's not eligible for trial there. :eek Promacta trial, Tampa, blasts 25-30% 8/17/12 AML, trying Dacogen now and praying.