Thread: Home BUT ....
View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 15, 2012, 06:54 AM

Linda - take it easy

Linda;
You will be fine - just take it easy. I know that is harder said than done - but if Earl could have a Hgb of 25, I would rejoice. I think, if I remember correctly - that the highest his Hgb has been in the last year was 14. something, and that is always after 2 units of PRBC's.
Do you have a pulse oximeter? If not - you can get a decent one at Walgreen's for about $50.00. I have one, and I frequently check Earl's sats (oxygen saturation in your body) with it. It also gives you a pulse reading. I have had one for years because I got it when I was doing home health care nursing - but they have come way down in price, and it's just another 'tool' for diagnostics.
Have Al take several deep breaths during the day - hold them in for as long as he can - then slowly exhale at least 10 times each time. In normal breathing, we only use the top 2/3 of our lungs - this way - the oxygen will get to his entire body, and you use the lower lobes. This can help - and I stress help - to decrease the chance of pneumonia because you are using your entire lung capacity. You can also check his fingers for capillary refill. Gently squeeze the tip of the finger until it turns white. If the blood doesn't rush back in and return to the normal pink color before you hit the count of three - then you aren't getting enough oxygen to your body.
Okay - I'm sounding too 'nursely' here. But know that you both are in our thoughts and prayers.

((((HGUS))))
Beth

Last edited by milliken2 : Wed Aug 15, 2012 at 10:13 PM. Reason: misspelled words