View Single Post
Old Wed Sep 19, 2012, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
Hi Sandi, I remember speaking to you on the MDS forum. Yes it is amazing how one phone call can change everything! I went to the doctor on Wednesday morning, had a blood test at 10:00, got call from doctors at 3:30 pm, saw a hematologist on Thursday was admitted to hospital Thursday, and had bmb on Friday morning!! Still seems crazy months later!I am having my 3rd bmb on Monday of which the main purpose is to find out if vidaza is working. I also found the talk blood cancer forum wasn't very active compared to here. However marrowforums helped me alleviate some worrying and stress, not only find others with so much wisdom but also all of a sudden a platelet count of 30 to 40 was good compared to others! It was comforting to know people could live with platelets way lower. anyway enough from me.. welcome to the forums!! I am glad Paul's neutrophils have responded so well to treatment. Good luck and here's hoping you hear good news of a sibling match soon. Sharnie.
Sharnie, thanks so much for responding to my posts. Yes, I do remember speaking with you on the forum. Funny that three of my return posts have been from fellow Aussies and we are using an American site to network. My heart goes out to you, being only 36 and with a young family. A shock like this is quite confronting for a 62 year old male, but at least he ticks more of the boxes - ie over 60 and a male. I have found reading this site quite reassuring in that there are long term survivors out there and that sometimes your own readings pale into insignificance compared to others, but at the same time we must remain mindful that every case is different. Are you being treated as a public or private patient. Paul has private health insurance, but both his own GP and the haematologist (who also has a private practice and services a private hospital) advised that he was much better staying in the public system as his treatment would be no different, and the costs going private would be prohibitive. It would be great to hear your comments. To date, we cannot complain about his treatment
Sandi, partner of Paul 62, diagnosed MDS Intermediate 2; July 2012. Pancytopenia, Cytogenetics -7 +8 Chromosomes. Low Blast cell count. Currently on EPO & G-CSF and having great response. MUD found will be admitted to Royal Perth Hospital 27 March 2013 to start SCT process.