View Single Post
Old Wed Sep 19, 2012, 04:33 PM

Hi Sandi,

I have private insurance and go through the private system. I have no out of pocket expenses for my cancer treatment centre or for my hospital admissions. I used to have to pay a gap for xrays but now that I'm on a DSP, I no longer have a gap. I do have occasional out of pockets, for instance, when I had my recent liver biopsy everything was covered by a combination of Medicare refunds and health insurance except for the cost of the needle which was $104. Medicare just won't refund on some things and the health fund won't always cover the deficit.

When I had Vidaza it wasn't on the PBS (it was on the waiting list to be approved for 2 years and some people don't have the luxury of waiting that long). I had to pay for the Vidaza myself and it cost $42,600 . On the other hand if I'd been in a public hospital it wouldnt have even been mentioned to me as an option because they weren't supplying it unless you were considered to be terminal within a couple of months. This way they wouldn't have to pay for it for years. (at least this is what my doctor, who works in a public hospital too, told me). On the plus side Vidaza is now approved and is supplied by the private system with no cost to the patient.

Sharnie told me that she goes to Greenslopes Private hospital and I have to say I'm a little jealous. My Mum is there now and they have been excellent. I asked my doctor to consider starting a practice at Greenslopes but he is already stretched a bit thin. He works at three cancer centers, two private hospitals and two public hospitals.

Maybe I can talk to you on the next phone forum. I normally join but couldn't last time because Mum has been so sick. I sent my apologies to Rebecca.

All the s sounds....Sandi, Sharnie, Chirley (pronounced Shirley)

The builders are due to arrive in 25 minutes so I'd better get my dog inside.

Bye

Chirley
Xq19.36 mutation
Xq21.40. mutation
1p36. Mutation
15q11.2 deletion