View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 3, 2014, 09:35 AM

Hi, Cheryl C

It does help--a lot! Thanks so much for your reply. I had noticed your signature before because hypogammaglobulinaemia doesn't pop up much here. And the whole issue of why his white counts hover so much more below normal than his RBC and platelets has definitely bothered me if the diagnosis is mild AA. (And while toxic granulation seems to occur w/ AA, NRBC and large platelets don't seem overly associated with it . . .).

We have, then, wondered if the diagnosis might be on the way to changing to MDS or something else. Mostly we don't notice anything too worrisome symptom-wise; he definitely craves a nap each afternoon and has had more than what used to be his normal share of colds and respiratory infections. To me it seems like he is constantly clearing his throat. He hematologist says that some people do fine w/ a 900 ANC count if the neutrophils they do have are like the Green Berets of neutrophils!

We're at a large hospital in the midwest associated w/ a Big Ten university. We like his doctor but have agreed that pending what the lab results show after this next visit and what she recommends, we will seek out a second opinion at a place like Mayo. A while back she had mentioned that she could give him some sort of shot to boost his ANC count if he wanted, but he turned it down. I don't know if that was what you are doing or something different. Can I ask how you feel different--fewer illnesses? Less fatigue?

Or, wait! I'll go back later today and read your old posts to catch up on your story before I ask you to fill in more details. Thanks so much for taking the time to respond. And best wishes for your own continued well-being. I'll keep you in my thoughts.