View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 14, 2013, 09:39 PM

Hang in there!

In late fall of 2011 my then-48 year old husband was turned away from a blood donation site due to anemia. Follow-up testing showed pancytopenia in the mild-to-moderate range (e.g., ANC around 900). BMB gave a cellularity of about 25%, which was low for his age. He had some toxic granulation, reactive lymphocytes, and giant platelets, but no significant dysplasia. To make a long story (and a huge amount of panic on my part) short, he came out with a diagnosis of suspected early/mild AA, and his counts have stayed pretty much in the same mild-to-moderate ballpark ever since. Finally they just don't know for sure what's going on. For a while he had a monoclonal gammopathy; that disappeared. Etc., etc. His hematologist told him that she has another patient with a similar profile who has been stable for a decade. What I notice is that my husband takes a regular afternoon nap, and he gets a few more respiratory infections than he used to, but otherwise life is basically back to normal.

So, as hard as it feels, try to do what others on this listserv are saying and don't assume the worst. Presumably there is something going on, but even if so, it won't necessarily be something dire!

Take care, BK